Two blog posts in a single week? Yes, it’s really true! It’s Friday so that can only mean … it’s Ask Away Friday time! This week I traded questions with Shelly from DIY Mama — she has a really cute blog where she chronicles life as a new mom and talk about all the DIY projects she tries… the good, the bad and the ugly. I love it when people are honest about how DIY projects really go! Check out her family command center (and learn that magnetic paint is no bueno).
Here are Shelly’s questions for me:
1. Loving that you do Project Life! Did your parents scrapbook or did you just want to have the memories for yourself and your kids on your own?
Confession time… I have majorly been slacking on my scrapbooking! Ever since the great Snapfish debacle earlier this year, I haven’t printed a single picture, much less organized them in any way. I will catch up though!!!
My parents were not scrapbookers, although I do remember them lugging around a huge VHS recorder to dance recitals and school programs, so the urge to record memories was definitely there. (Let’s just hope those tapes never see the light of day!)
2. What is your favorite way to unwind after a crazy day (pretending your boys are already in bed.) 😉
Pretending indeed! I swear, if I have both kids in bed before 9pm I consider it a MAJOR victory. Usually it’s closer to 10. Ugh. But let’s just say some miracle happens and I actually get some free time in the evening… I’m pretty boring – I like to read, watch TV with my husband and have a glass of wine, or just go to sleep early!
3. We just drove through the Show Me State! We stayed a few days in St. Louis for the 4th to see the festival, fireworks and City Museum! What is your all time favorite thing to do in your state?
St. Louis is a really fun city, especially with kids. I think my favorite thing to do in Missouri is to go hiking in our state parks — some of my favorites are Roaring River, Elephant Rocks, and Taum Sauk.
4. What is the wackiest belief you had as a child? (Borrowed from Tamara from Tamara Like Camera)
I had a bizarre fear that pirates were going to come into my bedroom at night and stab me in the ear… so clearly the best way to protect myself was to sleep with a lot of covers over my head. (That way the knife would only go through the blankets and miss my head?!)
5. Where did your love of sewing and knitting come from? What is your favorite creation?
I learned to sew and knit from my mom. I didn’t really love it as a kid, though. I think the reason I like it now is because it’s such a contrast from my job as a lawyer – I get to work with my hands and a project actually has a finite beginning, middle and END.
My favorite creation(s) are the hats I’ve knit for my husband. He shaves his head so when it’s cold outside he wears them ALL THE TIME. There is nothing better for a knitter than seeing our work actually get used to keep someone warm.
6. If there were 5 extra hours in the day, what would you spend them doing?
Oh, wouldn’t that be awesome? I’d spend them doing the things I love that I feel like I hardly ever have time for anymore — reading, knitting, cooking, running, and sleeping.
7. What was the last book you read and last movie you saw in theaters? Do you recommend?
I *just* talked about the last book I read in my last post, but Hmm… the last movie? I almost never go to the movies so this is a tough one. Maybe Silver Linings Playbook? It’s good! I hear the book is good too, and pretty different from the movie, but I haven’t read it yet.
8. Choose ANY photo that you’ve not shared on your blog and tell the story behind it.
This photo was taken in May 2010, and I just love it because three of my best friends and I had all just had babies within 3 months of each other. All these little babies are 4 now, and they are just so much fun. It has been so great to figure out this whole parenting thing right alongside such good friends. (Three of us had a second round of babies about a year ago, too. You’ve been warned — don’t drink the water!)
9. What is your favorite thing to do with your three boys (husband is included!)
Despite the hype, babies aren’t really all that exciting, so our family activities these days are pretty tame. I’d say our favorite thing to do is take a walk around our neighborhood (we have a pond a few streets over, so my 4 yr old like to go check out the ducks) or go hiking at the nature center near our house.
10. What is something you’re proud of before your life as a wife and mom?
I am proud that I was brave enough to study abroad in Spain for a whole year. I took college classes in Spanish (not Spanish classes — stuff like Econ and Marketing!), traveled a TON while I was there, learned so much about myself, and became a more independent person.
Thanks for the great questions, Shelly! If you want to hear more about her, including why she has a photo of herself holding a Jimmy John’s sandwich while wearing a wedding dress, click over and check out her blog!