Exciting news from the Beautyschooldropout household! My husband has been appointed to serve as the senior pastor for a small United Methodist church in a small town (pop. 3,000) about an hour from where we currently live. His new job starts on July 1. I am so excited for him — it will be his first time working as a lead pastor — and we are really looking forward to getting to know the congregation and exploring the little town.
The job comes with a parsonage, so until I find a job there, we will keep our house, keep the kids in their current school/day care spots, and we’ll live part time in each of the two houses. (It’s probably the only time I’ll have a second home!) I’m sort of freaking out about the logistics of it all, but I’m trying to focus on the positives, so here are some things I’m looking forward to:
- Spreading our furniture out between two houses means playrooms for the kids and a craft room for me.
- I’m a clueless decorator, but I’m a little bit excited about the prospect of getting to decorate a new house.
- You just can’t beat small-town hospitality.
- We will be walking distance from the city pool and a park.
- There is an old-fashioned soda fountain inside a drugstore where they still sell ice cream for 5 cents. (Yes, seriously.)
- My kids will have the church playground equipment to play on and a big parking lot to practice bike riding, etc. (Hey, there are some benefits to living next door to the church!)
- The drive isn’t bad, 60 miles on a divided highway that’s not too busy. We could commute it daily if we had to.
- I’m hoping the semi-move will help us reorganize and pare down some stuff in our house, without having the hassle of a full-blown move.
- Two houses == lots of room for company! (Bring your own air mattress.) =)
- We’ll be an hour closer to all the good outdoorsy things (hiking, floating, etc) to do in our part of the world.
So, what do you think? Does it sound like a crazy plan or do you think it will work? Obviously this is all subject to change if we discover we hate doing that much driving or I’m too overwhelmed taking care of the kids by myself a few nights a week. Any advice for me?